The QuickBooks software works in both single-user and multi-user modes. Its users need to switch between these modes quite often, but while switching to multi-user mode, they might face the QuickBooks error H303, saying the company file is on another computer and QuickBooks needs some help connecting. This indicates that there is a problem with QuickBooks’ connection to the network. Such an error must be fixed at the earliest as it can affect the smooth running of companies and lead to delays in task completion. In multi-user mode, there is one server computer that hosts the company files, and all the other computers are workstations that access the files over the network. This error might occur when the hosting settings of the server computer are turned off, or the hosting settings on any of the workstations are turned on. To fix this error, users can try checking and changing the hosting settings of the server computers and workstations or run the QuickBooks database server manager and the QuickBooks file doctor tool. To know more about the causes triggering this error and methods to eliminate it, make sure that you look through this article until the very end.
If you need to fix the QB Error H303 or resolve any other multi-user mode-related issues quickly, give us a call at 1.855.738.2784 and get in touch with our Technical Support team.
QuickBooks Error Code H303? Here are the possible reasons for its occurrence
The H303 error in QuickBooks is an error from the H series, which indicates that there is something that is blocking the multi-user connection to the server. The possible reasons for its occurrence include:-
- Your QuickBooks network data files might be corrupted or damaged.
- The Windows firewall on your system might be blocking the connection between the workstations and the server computer.
- The hosting settings on your server computer need configuration as they might have been turned off.
- It is possible that some of your workstations have their hosting settings turned on, and they need to stop hosting multi-user access.
- QuickBooks services like the QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitor might not be running on your server computer.
- It is possible that QuickBooks services don’t have the required admin permissions on your server computer.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Company File Will Not Open
What are the steps to overcome the H303 Error in QuickBooks?
To overcome the H303 error in QuickBooks, there are certain troubleshooting methods that you can execute, including:-
Run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager and QuickBooks File Doctor Tool on your server computer
Running these tools provided by the QuickBooks tool hub might fix the error instantly, so follow the below-mentioned steps:-
- First, on your server computer, download the QuickBooks tool hub from the official website of Intuit.
- Now, install the downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and save it to a convenient location.
- Now from the tool hub, choose QuickBooks Database Server Manager to run it.
- Scan your company files from the database server manager by selecting Start Scan.
- Once the scan finishes, reopen the tool hub and head to the company file issues section.
- Now from this section, run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool to repair any damage to the QuickBooks Company files.
- Once the tool finishes running, reboot your system and try switching to multi-user mode again.
Review and make the required changes to the hosting settings on your server computer
To host multi-user mode, the hosting settings on your server computer must be turned on. You can check and change them with these steps:-
- Open the QuickBooks software on your server computer and head to the File menu.
- Now from the File menu, access the Utilities section.
- The hosting settings must be set to Host Multi-User Access, and if it is not, turn it on by choosing the Host Multi-User Access option.
- Now your server computer is set to host files, and you can try switching to multi-user mode again.
Review and make the required changes to the hosting settings on all your workstations
In multi-user mode, there must always be one server computer, and all the other workstations must have their hosting settings turned off. To review and change them with these steps:-
- Open the QuickBooks software on each of your workstations and head to the File menu.
- Now from the File menu, access the Utilities section.
- If you see the Host Multi-User Access option selected, you need to turn the hosting off by choosing Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- After reviewing the hosting settings of each and every workstation, try to switch to multi-user mode again.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Desktop Keeps Crashing
Check If QuickBooks services like QBCFMonitor and QuickbooksDBXX are running on your server computer.
With the below-mentioned steps, you can check if the QBCFMonitor is running on your server computer. Repeat the same steps to check for QuickbooksDBXX (XX depending on your QuickBooks version) services:-
- In the Run dialogue box on your server computer, type services.msc and hit Enter on your keyboard.
- Double-click on QBCFMonitor from the list and choose its Startup Type to be Automatic.
- The Service status must be running or started, and if not, you must Start it.
- Head to the Recovery tab and choose the Restart the Service option from the First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures drop boxes.
- Finally, save the changes and try switching to multi-user mode again.
Additionally, you must inspect the settings of your windows firewall and make sure that they are not restricting QuickBooks multi-user mode, and also make sure that the QuickBooks services after required admin privileges on your server computer.
These are the different ways you can overcome the QuickBooks Error H303. The multi-user mode in QuickBooks seems complicated but can be used smoothly if you keep the hosting settings on your server computer and your workstations in check. You must always make sure that there are no third-party applications or settings that are interfering with QuickBooks’ connection to the server. To avoid complications, execute the troubleshooting steps in this article in the given order. If the error persists, you can get in touch with our Technical Support team by contacting us at 1.855.738.2784.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Crashes When Opening Company File